Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mini-Saguaro

We are not in an official heat wave by any means, however, it is HOT! And it’s not a dry heat either….  The last few days I have had to keep my AC cranked to keep these delectable treats from melting as I make them. Today’s edible art piece took me few steps to make…the cactus arms and the trunk are actually two separate pieces. I used a little dab of water to fuse the two together and let it dry while I melted the curvature and covered the marshmallow. Then I rolled out the yellow fondant sun (it could also be a full moon, if you prefer), to a paper thin measure and carefully applied it to the back of the plant.  I had a tiny amount of sand colored fondant that I spread out and placed at the base which gave it a nice touch.

Interesting fact: It is illegal to harm or cut down a Saguaro cactus in Arizona unless you have a special permit. You can read about it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment