Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Venus Flytrap Science

I’m not sure what made me try to make this little plant on top of my chocolate covered marshmallow. Perhaps it is the fly that whizzed into the house this afternoon. I molded two flat pieces of fondant together and perched them up on a log roll of fondant and it stayed upright quite nicely. I put a small pink bead fondant in the middle of the trap (do these plants have tongues’?) The Venus Flytrap is quite an amazing plant and they really do exist in certain swamps and bogs. The trap part of the plant stays open until a spider or insect lands inside, if the prey triggers more than two of the plants ‘hairs’ with movement then the two leaves snap shut trapping the prey for digestion. Interesting, and now everyone has learned something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment